Saturday, July 26, 2008

Day One: Autumn, X-Files, and The Dark Knight

In about three weeks, I'm going to be leaving to head back to school. I'm wondering how this year will be, since I transferred schools mid-year, and the transition proved to be far more difficult than I imagined it would be. I do have some reservations about this upcoming year, but I've decided to be excited for it mostly because of Autumn, which is my favorite month. I think spring is beautiful, with it's flowers and everything else, but there's just something electrifying about the fall. There's something haunting about the way the leaves fall off the trees and land in those enormous piles on the grass. You'd think it would have something to do with mental images of me jumping into them. To be honest, I never did much of that when I was a kid-I never cared much for the dewy wetness that drenched my clothes for hours afterwards. I guess there's something even more elemental about fall that captivates my imagination. I love seeing the world bloom into frozen fire.

In other news, I went to see the film X-Files: I Want To Believe today. I think the biggest thing I want to say about it is that I feel very bad for the filmmakers and the actors that took part in creating this movie. By any normal gauge, it was a fun movie that was without doubt worth the price of admission, but let's be honest: right now, America's movie gauge is anything but "normal." It's safe to say (I think) that we can blame this unfairness on the thunderbolt that ripped through the sky last week called The Dark Knight. Whatever the reason, the point is that the folks over in X-Files country made a good film that offered plenty of action as well as difficult questions, but overall, the film left me feeling somewhat unsatisfied. I'm always infuriated when people post spoiler filled reviews without warning me before hand, so if any X-Files people are reading this, don't worry, I won't spoil anything, but I will say that the picture of the werewolf that was floating around the internet was definitely a fake. The film dealt more with a religious theme; a theme that while interesting and a good source for material didn't feel like it fit as well with the X-Files as, say, a crocodile man, or a guy who likes his arm extra crispy. Anyway, my final call on the film was that it was good, a solid 6 or 7 out of 10, and definitely worth a visit if people are looking to burn a couple hours for six dollars and fifty cents.

Concerning The Dark Knight...to be honest, I'm not sure I need to post much of a review on this movie, and instead can call it a job well done with the following statement. "If you haven't seen The Dark Knight yet, you're one of the 5 people who has not, and you should go." So what do I have to say about the big details? Well, let's see. The storyline? Complex, dark, and grittily realistic, I haven't been so compelled since the first time I sat curled up on the couch in L.A. watching The Godfather for the first time. The special effects? Christopher Nolan and Co. are brilliant, simply put. If this film doesn't win an Oscar (or at least get a nod) for Best Cinematography (is there even an award for that anymore...?) I think I'll move as far away from civilization as I can. CGI is replaced with old school props being blown half to hell, and I'm thankful for it. I've always preferred the real thing. The acting? Well, to put it simply, everyone brought a performance to the table that normally would have electrified people had they been on an individual basis. However, they were all overshadowed by (you guessed it) Heath Ledger. For those who have seen it: the pencil trick changed my life. For those who have not seen it: the pencil trick will change your life. Without a doubt my favorite film I have seen this year, The Dark Knight gets a 9.5/10 from me, as well as a hard earned spot in my top 10 films of all time. This summer has been fantastic for me, since Wall-E earned a similar score from me, as well as a spot in my top 10.

Well, it's running on about four thirty in the morning in these parts, so I'd better be getting off around now. 

SparkNotes: Day One

1. I leave for school again here soon. I'm nervous, but I'm looking forward to the fall.
2. X-Files: I Want To Believe was a good movie that falls under the painfully overwhelming shadow of The Dark Knight. 7/10
3. The Dark Knight: A spectacular film that redefined the superhero genre and captured the essence of the Caped Crusader. 9.5/10

Look here tomorrow for the following:

Movie Reviews:

1. "I'm Not There"
2. "The Girl Next Door"
3. "Meet Joe Black"
4. "Hellboy II: The Golden Army"

Thoughts Concerning:

1. The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
2. Barack Obama
3. John McCain
4. Maybe some CoffeeTalk, if I'm really up to it.

On that note, have a good one, everybody.

-Dodger

No comments: